CBD for Pets
We have noticed at Strains Dispensary that an increasingly popular CBD application is for pets. Our customers often ask how CBD might be effective at treating pet ailments. We have studied the topic and organized a review on the use of CBD for pets. Read on to see how CBD might offer a therapeutic benefit for your pet.
How Does CBD Affect Pets?
Scientists have verified that cannabinoids such as CBD interact with cannabinoid receptors found in mammals. These receptors are found in the central nervous system that helps to maintain a balanced healthy state. It is safe for pets just as humans at the right dose. CBD is considered to be psychoactive as endocannabinoid receptors are found in the brain, but it does not generate a high like THC. Although no scientific data exist on CBD and pets, CBD likely offers very similar results to cats and dogs as humans.
Known Therapeutic Values of CBD
The therapeutic uses of CBD stem from its anti-inflammatory, anti-nausea, anti-anxiety, and anti-cancer benefits. CBD has also been found to promote heart health, appetite, and relaxation. Although no direct studies have concluded, significant anecdotal reports show that humans’ same benefits from CBD transfer to cats and dogs.
What Can CBD Oil Treat for Pets?
Veterinarians are increasingly using CBD as a medication to help cure dogs of specific conditions. Common CBD uses for cats and dogs are the same as in humans, including appetite stimulation, lower blood pressure, neuropathic pain, anti-cancer, seizures, anxiety, and allergies.
- Pain Relief – CBD is an effective pain reliever and has been used to reduce pain related to inflammation, nerve damage, irritable bowels, acute pancreatitis, and oxidative stress.
- Cancer – CBD has been shown to have anti-cancer properties due to its ability to assist the immune system in targeting and killing cancer cells.
- Seizures – 5% of dogs have epilepsy and suffer from seizures. Dogs have been responsive to CBD as a treatment for seizure disorders.
- Heart Health – CBD dilates the arteries and protects blood vessels. It also helps control heart rate and reduces blood pressure and cardiac stress.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome – CBD has antibiotic properties that can assist with irritable bowel disorders and colitis.
- Anxiety – CBD can have a calming effect on pets with panic or separation disorders.
How to Determine the Right Dose?
Dosing pets with CBD can be calculated by knowing the pet’s weight and the desired dose as follows:
- Minimum dose is .02mg/pound
- Low dose is .07mg/pound
- Moderate is .2mg/pound
- Strong dose is .6mg/pound
- Maximum dose is 1.8mg/pound
Choosing the Right CBD Product for Your Pet
*Strains Dispensary did not produce this content in conjunction with a veterinarian or licensed professional. Please consult with your veterinarian before giving your pet cannabidiols.